Well, for me it was a slightly bigger deal for a couple of reasons:
- My Windows desktop actually runs under my Linux desktop. It's a virtual machine running under VMWARE.
- Although IT advertised the timeout as 60 minutes, in reality, it was closer to 10 for me.
Obviously, technical issues call for technical solutions. Here's mine. By the way, it would be very unethical to use this on a "real" Windows desktop as opposed to a virtual one :)
All these steps should be taken inside the Windows VM. If you have a fast internet connection, you should be set up in under 5 minutes:
- Run the installer for Python:
- Run the installer for SendKeys:
- Save the following Python script to a file:
- Run the file, e.g. by double-clicking on it.
from SendKeys import SendKeys
print "Did it again"
This script will virtually press the caps lock key twice on the window with the focus, once every 5 minutes. Adjust to taste. You can minimize it after you run it, you can run it at startup, etc.
I have to admit that the idea of using the caps lock key is not original with me. I saw it somewhere, but I cannot remember where at the moment. Anyway, it works great, even when the key is pressed while you are typing.